THE VAN VLECK HOUSE & GARDENS GUIDELINES AND RULES FOR PHOTOGRAPHY SESSIONS:
We look forward to welcoming your wedding party or family to a private shoot here at Van Vleck House & Gardens. In preparation for your visit, please note the guidelines that will apply to your shoot.
Permits / Reservations required per shoot
- Cost per session:
- Portraitures – $300 permit fee. Engagement or “first look” couple photos.
- Wedding Party – $500 permit fee. Maximum 25 people, including photography team.
- Commercial Photographers/Film productions – Subject to the requirements of the specific shoot.
The Photography Guidelines are outlined below. A reservation is necessary for those who wish to use the Van Vleck House & Gardens setting as the background for any posed photography. This would include wedding, family, engagement, graduation, prom, senior photos or the like. Ceremonies or receptions are not permitted on the grounds.
- Reservation form and prepayment are required, at the latest, by 2 weeks before the intended photo session.
- No refunds due to inclement weather; however, best efforts will be made for a rescheduled session.
- Reservations for locations and time slots will be strictly enforced.
- Certificate of Liability Insurance ($1 million in general liability coverage) from the photographer is required 48 hours in advance of photo session and showing The Montclair Foundation as the co-insured for that period.
- A Security Deposit may also be required based on the extent of the use of the property.
- Certain dates/locations are excluded for photography permits and notice will be given in advance on our website. Check availability for your intended time and date before you submit your application for a photo session reservation.
- House/Front & Rear terrace, and the gardens are off-limits during any fundraiser or non-profit event using the main house and/or property.
- No reservations/photo sessions outside normal business hours of 9 am – 5 pm unless approved by the Executive Director.
- No rearranging, moving, masking, decorating or use of electrical outlets on the property. No confetti, balloons or rose petals.
- People and/or equipment are not allowed within any planted garden bed, bare soil, or on top of any structure. Please stay on paths and lawns. The greenhouses are not available.
- Visitors/Photo session guests are required to abide by the property rules and regulations that are stated on our website and property informational signage.
- Only personal cars are allowed to park in the front parking lot. No limos, vans, party buses or Black Cars are allowed on the Van Vleck property at any time OR blocking access to the driveways/parking lots.
- No parking by the side entrance of the main house or blocking the handicap parking area. No parking on any lawn area alongside the parking lots.
- No parking on the north side of the street in front of 20 Van Vleck Street or its driveways directly across from our entrance. Larger vehicles may drop off the party outside the gates and then park on North Mountain Avenue and wait for the duration of the photography session.
- Application for permit includes rules and regulations pertaining to the use of the property with notice that VVH&G is open to the public during photo shoots. Photo sessions cannot interfere with public access to the gardens, parking spaces or buildings.